What is PBX?
If you have ever worked in a larger office, then chances are you have heard the term PBX bandied about. PBX is the acronym for "Private Branch Exchange". In the traditional sense it has acted as a switch station for multiple branches/extensions of the same phone systems, redirecting calls to the correct user. Generally, medium and large companies utilise a PBX as part of their business telephone service, as it’s much more cost effective than connecting an external telephone line to every single handset within the establishment.
There are a few key roles of a PBX system:
- To create connections between telephone users inside the organisation as well as with callers outside the organisation
- To keep the connection open for as long as is required and to close it correctly at the end of the call
- To provide metrics on the system including call statistics and metering related to the calls
- To allocate an extension to each and every user within the network
- Offer the option of a call answering menu as well as call hold options
- Provision of a voice mail box for each extension
- Transfer of calls in and out of the network
- You can port your existing number to an ITSP (Internet Telecommunication Service Provider e.g. iinet / Telstra / Engin, Westnet) and keep it wherever or whenever you move.
iVoice Hosted PBX
Until the introduction of IP based PBX systems, installing a PBX solution was a costly exercise. Installing the required infrastructure was not only time consuming, but it was expensive and required IT professionals to manage and maintain it.
With iVoice’s hosted PBX however, there is no infrastructure installed on your site, there is no requirement for you to hire a dedicated IT professional and no lag time waiting for the system to be installed. The entire infrastructure you ever need is hosted by us. We route all calls through our cloud based PBX VoIP and direct them to you. All that needs be done on your side is to plug in the handsets to your network and allocate an extension to each user. And with our simple online interface, changing, adding or deleting extensions is simple.
So throw out the notion of needing to select from the different business phone plans available and contact us today for further information on how VoIP can assist you in your small or medium sized business.